PB&Me + Jelly Stuffed Doughnuts
- 1/4 cup PB&Me powdered peanut butter + 1/8 cup of water (for the PB)(mix together and set aside)
- 1/4 cup jelly of your choice
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm full-fat milk
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside, and allow it to foam up; about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine warm milk and butter, whisk until butter has completely dissolved. Add in sugar, 1 egg yolk and 1 full egg, salt, yeast mixture, and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft ball of dough (don't knead the dough just yet).
- Place a ball of dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover tightly with saran wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After hour has passed, punch the dough down and turn it onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8 times.
- Divide the dough in half, creating two even-sized balls of dough. Roll each portion out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut each side with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter. Place 1/2 teaspoon of PB and 1/2 tsp jelly in the center of half of the circles. Brush the edges lightly with egg white, then top with remaining circles. Press the edges together tightly to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. When ready to fry, heat oil to 360°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.