FLOURLESS PB&ME CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS [RECIPE]
(Recipe inspired by and photos provided by Gluten Free on a Shoe String)
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 100 grams icing sugar
- 2x 40 grams egg whites (approx. 2 large eggs)
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 37.5 ml water (2.5 tablespoons)
- blue food color, e.g. Sugarflair Aztec Blue
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 75 ml double cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line the wells of a standard 12-cup muffin tin and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place PB&Me, bananas, eggs and honey, and beat with a handheld mixer until very well-combined. Add the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and mix with a spatula until just combined. Beat the mixture again with a handheld mixer until very well-combined. The batter should be thick but soft and as smooth as possible.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared wells of the muffin tin, and shake the tin back and forth to distribute the batter in an even layer in each well. Sprinkle the optional miniature chocolate chips evenly on top of the batter in each well.
- Place the tin in the center of the preheated oven and bake until the tops of the muffins are puffed and spring back and feel relatively firm when pressed gently in the center (22 to 25 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. They freeze exceptionally well when sealed tightly in freezer-safe wrap or a freezer-safe container.